New listings in NH’s National Register of Historic Places | Local News
CONCORD – The New Hampshire Division of Historic Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historic Resources Board has added five properties to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places.
Built in 1903-05 as a small chapel with the main intention of educating children on Sundays, the one-story Cheever Union Sunday School in Dorchester has several distinctive architectural features, including a sloping bell tower with an open belfry and a large off-center stained glass window on the front. Largely unchanged for over 100 years, its interior is still finished in dark stained paneling and has all of its original hardware.
the John Howland Property includes a Greek Revival style house circa 1830 and a timber-framed barn on 160 acres. It was one of the oldest farms in Easton and has significance as a rural agricultural landscape, particularly as a relatively intact example of an early 19th century farm that was part of a larger farming community. Much of its land is protected by a conservation easement.
The latest in a series of ships that provided water transport between the main surrounding communities Lake Winnipesaukee, the M / S Mount Washington has served tourists on the lake since 1940. In addition to its history within the tourism industry, it continues to be an integral part of the tradition of determining “ice” on the lake, which is officially determined when the ship can travel to all five of its stops.
Built in 1891 when The port of Sunapee was the tourist center of Sunapee, the post-beam Flandre-Osborne stable had 18 horse boxes and room for carriages; visitors could hire single and double teams. As modes of transportation changed, it subsequently provided services and seasonal storage for boats and automobiles. The building was owned by generations of the same family until 1980 when it was donated to the Sunapee Historical Society, which maintains it as a museum.
Located near the town of Warren, the eight ton, 73 feet tall Red stone missile was built around 1950 and is said to be the only genuine Redstone rocket available to tourists in the United States. Henry “Ted” Asselin, who was stationed at Redstone Dockyard in Alabama, was able to return the decommissioned missile to his hometown in 1971 to commemorate Alan B. Shepard, Jr., another New Hampshire native and the first American. in the space.
Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it on an individual inventory form from the New Hampshire Division of Historic Resources. Having a property listed does not place any restrictions on the owners. For more information visit nh.gov/nhdhr.
The New Hampshire Division of Historic Resources, the state’s Office of Historic Preservation, was established in 1974 and is part of the NH’s Department of Natural and Cultural Resources. NHDHR’s mission is to preserve and celebrate New Hampshire’s irreplaceable historic resources through programs and services that provide education, stewardship and protection. For more information, visit us online at nh.gov/nhdhr or by calling 603-271-3483.