Eight Arkansas Properties Added to National Register of Historic Places
Eight Arkansas properties have been added to the National Register of Historic Places.
They include two historic areas of Little Rock, the Forrest City Public Library and historic downtown Winslow.
The new listings were announced Tuesday by the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program.
Lists for Little Rock include the Broadmoor neighborhood and the Arkansas State Fairgrounds Historic Districts.
Broadmoor is a residential development about 4.5 miles west of downtown Little Rock, according to the National Register Nomination Form. It was developed in what was then the southwestern outskirts of the city by local developer Fausett and Company beginning in 1953.
The Broadmoor Neighborhood Historic District boundary encompasses the neighborhood’s three original flats and 554 residential lots, in addition to a park and lake.
When developed in the 1950s, Broadmoor homes were “fitted with the latest modern amenities” to appeal to middle-class homebuyers, according to the nomination.
The Broadmoor area remains “a distinct entity in the landscape”, with 458 of its 559 buildings contributing to the National Register, according to the nomination.
“Non-contributing resources may have material changes, additions, or modifications, such as the carport enclosure, that detract from their original design intent, but overall the residences retain their original scale and form reflecting the original rhythm of the houses along the streets of Broadmoor, even where non-contributory resources exist,” according to the nomination.
The Arkansas State Fairgrounds Historic District includes the Barton Coliseum and its four adjacent cattle barns, all of which were designed by the Little Rock architectural firm of Erhart, Eichenbaum and Rauch and built from the late 1940s to early 1950s, depending on the nomination.
The historic district also includes three modern buildings built nearby.
“The Barton Coliseum and cattle barns are all constructed of buff brick, which gives the buildings a cohesive appearance,” according to the nomination. “Cattle sheds are notable for their monitor roofs and open sides, which provided ventilation for livestock that were on display in the buildings, while the Barton Coliseum is notable for its oval shape and domed roof with monitor.”
Barton Coliseum has become a prominent concert hall in Little Rock. By 2012, the Barton Coliseum had hosted more than 525 major concerts, according to the nomination.
In northwest Arkansas, the Winslow Commercial Historic District has also been listed on the National Register.
The neighborhood includes three buildings on North Winslow Boulevard – Winslow City Hall, Winslow Mercantile, and a building that once housed the Winslow Recreation Hall.
Two of the three commercial buildings [City Hall and the mercantile] share a party wall. These two buildings were damaged by fire in 1935 and rebuilt on the original site around 1938, according to the nomination.
The other building, at 182 N. Winslow Boulevard, was originally constructed sometime before 1929 and served various uses, including as a Winslow recreation hall, before being used today as residential spaces , depending on the appointment.
At the time of the appointment in November, City Hall and commercial buildings had been closed since the previous year. The City Hall building was closed for repairs due to flood damage, according to the appointment. At the beginning of the 20th century, it housed a pharmacy.
While most Winslow businesses are now along US 71, the old downtown area along Winslow Boulevard/Arkansas 74 remains a draw.
Residents gather downtown for the weekly farmer’s market and kaffeeklatsch throughout the year, according to the appointment. Winslow Boulevard is also the site of the Christmas Parade, Mayor’s Proclamations, and Winslow History Day.
“The film ‘Smoke in the Wind,’ starring Walter Brennan in his final role, used the Winslow Mercantile and adjacent downtown buildings as a backdrop to the Civil War in 1971,” according to the nomination.
Other Arkansas properties that were listed on the National Registry were:
• The Forrest City Public Library, which was built by the Public Works Administration and completed in 1939.
• Scott Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church in Eudora, which was built in 1922 (a communion hall was added in 1969).
• First Presbyterian Church in downtown Helena, part of Helena-West Helena, built circa 1925.
• Presbyterian Center in Fayetteville, which was built in 1964 along the north edge of the University of Arkansas campus.
• The North Garvin Drive Historic District in Fayetteville consists of three houses on the west side of the street that were designed by architect Cyrus Sutherland and built between approximately 1961 and 1983.
The National Register of Historic Places is a program of the National Park Service. Listings are honorary, and properties with this distinction may be eligible for state and national grant and tax programs, according to a press release from the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program.
Arkansas properties listed on the National Registry and their nomination forms are available at https://bit.ly/3rsjOPn.