Alstead’s Vilas Pool Park Among 4 Properties Added to New Hampshire Register of Historic Places | News
ALSTEAD – Vilas Pool Park in Alstead is one of four Granite State properties spanning two centuries of history that were recently added to the New Hampshire Register of Historic Places.
The New Hampshire Division of Historic Resources, established in 1974 and part of the New Hampshire Department of Natural and Cultural Resources, announced via a press release Wednesday that the State Board of Historic Resources has recognized the following locations:
Vilas Pool Park Built primarily between 1925 and 1926, the park was donated to the town of Alstead by native Charles Nathaniel Vilas and is significant both as a well-preserved example of an early 20th century recreation area and for its architecture and its landscape architecture. The man-made pool in the park is formed by a dam that slows the flow of Cold River. Other features include a pedestrian bridge, pavilion, boathouse, carillon, stone tables and fireplaces, and other structures designed to enhance recreational visitation.
Waldron Store and Keeneborough Grange HallBrentwood’s most intact historic store building, the Waldron Store and Keeneborough Grange Hall, has served a variety of community functions since its construction in 1855. The second floor housed the Grange from 1892 and has been the site of suppers, plays, games and dances for this organization and others in town, while the first floor – which has been a general store, post office and library – now houses the Historical Society.
Calley Farm / 1820 HouseThe simple Old Federal style part of the Calley Homestead / 1820 in Plymouth was built in 1800; its circa 1820s extension has more elaborate Federal-style detailing that developed later. One of several late 18th and early 19th century buildings still standing on Highland Street in Plymouth, the property saw a long succession of owners during its first century. In the early 1940s, it served as a community boarding house and restaurant, then as an antique store until the 1970s.
Webster Memorial LibraryOne of more than 100 new library buildings constructed in New Hampshire from 1890 to 1930, the Webster Memorial Library at Wentworth, built in 1916, is one of only five listed in the Arts and Crafts style. Even more unusual, its concrete basement houses a gymnasium where basketball games were played until the early 1970s. The funds to build the library were donated by Wentworth natives George and Henry Webster to honor their parents , Edward Kendall Webster and Betsy Johnson Webster.
Anyone wishing to nominate a property for the New Hampshire Register of Historic Places must research the history of the proposed property and document it on an individual inventory form from the New Hampshire Division of Historic Resources. Having a property listed on the register imposes no restrictions on the owners. For more information, visit nh.gov/nhdhr.